Friday, September 16, 2011

The Sunday Yummies

Sauce sauce and more sauce!




Since I have so many meals still ready to go in my freezer I decided to stock up on more Tomato Sauce.
This is my basic easy recipe That I came up with after combining tips from several sources and years of experimenting.

What you'll need




One whole medium to large brown onion
One whole head of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
red pepper flake ( I use about a tsp)
1/2 to 1 cup red wine. (I don't know a whole lot about wine, I use Chianti because I like the flavor in this sauce)
~4 cans Roma tomatoes liquid and all
~salt to taste (it's a large pot of sauce so add some taste and see how much more you need. I didn't measure sorry!
~1/8 cup sugar to cut the acidity a bit.

In a large stock pot (I use my 6 quart dutch oven)

~Heat your oil
~add your chopped onions and saute until soft and starting to gently brown
~mince or crush the garlic and add in once onion is soft.
~sprinkle in your pepper flake
~Add your red wine (you can leave the wine out if you don't consume alcohol, the alcohol does cook out fully)
~Puree your tomatoes and add them in.
~add salt to taste
~add sugar
~bring to a boil
~once boiling reduce to simmer, partially cover and simmer for 3-4 hours.
~The longer you simmer the sauce the richer the flavor. I cook mine a full 4 hours.

Once it's cooked divide it out into servings per meal cool completely and freeze!

Easy Peasy and so yummy!

You can also change things up a bit by adding veggies, or leaving out the red pepper, or add in Ricotta or heavy cream for a richer sauce.





Happy Friday!


xoxo


post signature

No comments: